SERVPRO works quickly to restore your home or business after fire damage
It is important to contact trained property damage restoration technicians from SERVPRO to minimize damages and restore your property faster
Manhattan fire damage needs professionals
The Damage Caused by a Property Fire
When you experience a property fire, big or small it’s best to contact a fire damage restoration company in your area to mitigate the damage and put you on a quick road to recovery. To repair the property entirely after experiencing a damaging fire, you will need to seek the help of a professional team like SERVPRO. Fire damage is multi-faceted and to recover as much of your property as possible contacting professionals right away with experience, equipment and training will help avoid additional repairs and costs. Our Manhattan technicians know what steps to take to assess your property and possessions, they can look for hidden damages and quickly start to mitigate concerns to avoid further damage from smoke and soot, documenting damages and removing items for restoration.
Many factors contribute to the increased risk of fire during winter months
Keeping warm in the winter months can be challenging, homeowners often use secondary heating sources to supplement furnaces and radiators to help keep warm. Fireplaces, wood burning stoves, space heaters, or electric blankets can produce comfortable heat for smaller, more targeted areas of your home at a fraction of the cost of turning up the thermostat for the entire home. These heat sources also pose their own unique risks, and it's important to take safety precautions when using them. Typically, electrical fires are at their peak during the winter months, staying inside using additional lighting, heating and other electrical equipment causes increased strain on your electrical system, that can sometimes result in a fire.
Common Sources of Electrical Fires
- Faulty outlets and appliances: worn or frayed cords can be enough to spark a fire and have it spread to flammable surfaces in your home like carpets, drapes, and rugs. Avoid running electrical cords under rugs to minimize wear and tear that can contribute to fire risks. Do not remove the grounding prong from a cord for use in a two-prong outlet.
- Light fixture failures: Always check the maximum recommended wattage on your lights and avoid using bulbs that go over that limit. Placing flammable materials like paper or cloth over a lampshade can also start a fire.
- Extension cords:Extension cords are meant to be a temporary measure for appliance usage. If you are using an extension cord because you do not have the type of outlet you need for your appliance, talk to your local electrician about installing new outlets that are compatible.
Property owners and residents can minimize electrical fire risk with a variety of safety measures, including the following:
- Avoid overloading outlets or power strips and the use of extension cables as a long-term power source.
- Have your wiring inspected to ensure that it is up to code per the standards set by the National Electrical Code (NEC). A licensed electrician can mitigate potential faults such as rusty contacts in an outlet. A professional can also advise you on inspection intervals.
- Use protective measures like surge protectors, ground-fault circuit interrupters, and arc-fault circuit interrupters.